Atkins diet is actually a low carbohydrate diet. The person who invented the diet found that sugar, flour, and high fructose corn syrup were the bad carbohydrate items that cause obesity and health issues. But the problem is that they are present in large quantities in most Western foods.
Atkins made a conclusion that in order to lose weight significantly, it is necessary to eliminate those ingredients or at least reduce the intake. The Atkins diet program turns out to be an effective program, and it has been enjoying its success for many years. In fact, the diet program is known as one of the best diet programs today.
You can find more information about Atkins diet program below.
The Atkins diet program consists of four stages.
- The Induction Stage
In this stage, people that are practicing the Atkins diet see the largest amount of fat loss. They can lose between 5-10 pounds each week. In the induction stage, carbohydrate consumption is highly restricted. People must follow specific instructions on how much carbohydrate that they are allowed to consume.
- The Ongoing Weight Loss Stage
In this second stage, the carbohydrate intake is increased to a more healthy level. But even though people are allowed to consume more carbohydrate, they still have to maintain the consumption to a certain level to continue losing weight.
- The Pre-maintenance Stage
In this third stage, the level of carbohydrate that is allowed to be consumed is increased again. This stage actually depends on how the person understands his or her own body. People have to determine the amount of carbohydrate that they can consume without gaining weight. This is not easy, but the diet program provides guidance.
- Lifetime Maintenance Stage
This is the last stage of the Atkins diet. In this stage, people must use all the methods that they have taken during the previous stages to control their carbohydrate consumption so that they can control their weight levels.
The Atkins diet was very popular in 2003 and 2004. It was even estimated that one out of eleven Americans were practicing the Atkins diet. However, in 2005, Robert Atkins, the person who invented the diet died and the popularity of the diet program decreased. The Atkins diet is still quite popular, even though some critics said that the program is too demanding and not healthy. Another reason why the Atkins diet lost its popularity is because many people think that the program is very expensive. Some of the items included in Atkins diet can easily be found at a grocery store, but they are too expensive for most Americans to buy on regular basis.
- Dukan Diet Plan There is a new diet that people could practice if they want to lose their weight. The Dukan diet is a great diet plan that helps people to rebuild their food consumption. By rebuilding their food consumption, people would be...
- Dukan Diet Recipes For the last couple of years, the Dukan diet program has been really popular inside the UK. The recipes and plan from the Dukan diet regime had helped lots of people to drop their weight. The diet plan and recipes...
- Sacred Heart Diet Review Just like any other diet programs, the Sacred Heart Diet has both good and bad sides. This diet program may not be enjoyable for every person who uses it. People have different reactions when they do diet or physical activities....
- Dukan Diet Review Since the Dukan diet was introduced in the UK for the first time, there have been so many things that go around about this diet plan. The Dukan diet was invented over 10 years ago by Dr Pierre Dukan, a...
- Stevia and the HCG Diet When you ask people who have successfully lost their excess weight with the HCG diet, you will find the fact that Stevia had helped them. Stevia is a natural sweetener that has been used for hundreds of years. The sweetener...